Sunday, February 6, 2011

7 years

2 more years for a B.S.
2 more years for an M.S.
2 more years to put some money in the bank.
1 year just in case.

2 years filled to the top
Countless deadlines crowding out all else
Classes to attend
Papers to write
Projects to complete.

I would be a distraction
A hindrance
I would hold you back 
and slow you down
I understand

So I'll wait

2 more years will pass
With research to be done 
A thesis to be written
More classes to attend
Connections to be made

I would only fill your mind with other things
My "drama" would drag you down
My presence would sap your strength
Once again I would become yet another distraction
I understand 

So I'll wait

3 more years pass
You have a job now
And are busy working your way to the top
The stress is enormous
Your load is at times unbearably heavy

I only take up your precious time
Distract you with my own petty problems
Just one more person to plan for
One more life to figure out
I understand

But this is life
There will always be things to do
Will there ever be time for us?
Or will you always see me as that distraction holding you back?
Will I always be the item on your to-do list that you never quite reach?

I have waited for years now
Countless others have been turned down
As I hold myself in reserve
Waiting for the time to be right
Waiting to be with you at last

Please, don't make me wait forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment