Friday, January 28, 2011

Shattered

And the cuts keep coming
The blows keep falling
Till my shattered heart is nothing but fragments of vibrant color
Scattered across the ground
Fading quickly to colorless shards 
As the life oozes out of my broken vessels.


I look on 
Stricken with dismay and horror
I thought the danger was past
Yet, in my moment of unguarded affection,
My heart is struck from my sheltering grasp
And broken into a million pieces.


Just as the cuts were beginning to heal
As the pain subsided
The blows fall once more
Pummeling my very soul
And I am left
Bruised and afraid.


But in those ruined pieces
This mess of blood and tears
There is a beauty
Unique and undeniable
Though it cost me all I have
It is not in vain.


For that fading splash of light 
It is a token of what I can be
That even my hard heart
When softened by love
And shattered by life
Can make something lovely in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment