Monday, January 17, 2011

Bullet to the brain?

I've been hearing Grenade by Bruno Mars an awful lot lately.  It seems to be playing several times an hour whenever I'm working and/or working out.  I was thinking about the lyrics and it occurred to me that I could sing the chorus to nearly every one of my friends.  Seriously!  I would give my life in a heartbeat to save one of you guys.  Ever since I accepted Christ as my savior as a little girl I haven't really felt afraid of death.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't WANT to die.  I have way too many things left to do with my life, but I'm definitely not scared to die.  I would much rather die than see one of my friends lose their life when I could have somehow prevented it.  However, there are very few people in this world who I would LIVE my life for.  After all it's MY life.  I can live it how I want to, right?  Nope.  Wrong.  

 "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s." 

Now that verse always makes me sort of scared.  I'm a pretty independent person.  I don't like being pushed around by people.  I have my own ideas, my own plans, and I want to live my own life my own way, but my life isn't mine.  "in your body and in your spirit, which are God's"  and that's where it gets tough.  He's not asking me to GIVE my life for Him (at least not yet).  He just wants me to LIVE my life for Him.  I was thinking about how very hard it is to live for someone.  To sacrifice your hopes, your plans, your pride for them.  It made me think of how the chorus of Grenade might sound if Jesus were singing it to us.  

Would you swallow your pride for me?  Would you say your goodbyes for me? 
I know you would die for me, but would you live your life for me? 
You would take any pain for me, but would you carry the shame for me?  
Yeah, you'd catch the grenade, you'd throw yourself in front of that train,  
you say you'd do anything, but I'm not asking for your death.  I died to give you life. 
So I'm asking you now, will you live for me?  Will you give your heart to me? 
Will you risk all your plans for me?  Will you join your hands with me?   
I already gave everything for you.  I don't need anything from you.  Just follow me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment