Thursday, January 27, 2011

Niele

It seems that I cannot escape the adjectives that I am continually being labeled with.  I'm weird, socially inept, silly and stuck, and now I find that I am also nosy.  There are really only two people who keep applying these unwanted descriptions and they happen to be my two closest guy friends.  It hurts to have the people I care about describe me in such unpleasant terms.  Sometimes, they're saying it half jokingly, sometimes they're just being mean, and sometimes they're dead serious, but only occasionally are they correct.

weirdOf a strikingly odd or unusual character; strange.


I am more than willing to admit it.  I am weird.  I have 11 siblings.  I never spent a day in school until I started college at age seventeen.  I have never kissed a boy.  Most of my life is very much different from what is regularly considered "normal."  Still, you could also consider me unique or rare, but nope.  It's always weird.


socially ineptDisplaying a lack of judgment, sense, or reason; foolish, bungling, clumsy, or incompetent in a social setting


Socially inept?  No. I have spent time in many different social settings and filled many different roles.  I have never had trouble adjusting to my surroundings.


Silly and stuck - Obviously wrong and stuck. i.e. you have a plan somewhere in your head and do not want to give it up


I can definitely be silly, but, in all honesty, I have not yet met a human being who can't be.  Stuck?  Occasionally, yes, I become fixated on an idea, yet at the same time I am constantly adjusting my decisions, opinions, and actions to reflect the advice and wisdom I receive from others.  


Niele - curious, inquisitive, nosy


Surprisingly, I think this one bothers me the most.  How can I be classified as nosy?  Curious? Inquisitive?  Yes, I am both of those  things, without a doubt.  However, my friend implied that I am more than that.  He implied that I am too curious and too inquisitive.  He called me nosy and that hurts.  I am not nosy.  I have spent a lot of time around some very nosy people and my level of curiosity in no way matches the amount of prying and prodding they have done into my personal life, thoughts, and decisions. 


So why did I write this post?  Just to rant?  Yeah, pretty much.  I resent being labeled.  Especially when the labels are inaccurate and are given without any supporting evidence.  My friend, Julian, gave me some words of comfort today along with some pretty solid advice that I am sorely tempted to follow.  "No, you are not nosy.  Whoever said you were nosy, just tell them to SHUT. UP."  

No comments:

Post a Comment