Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Classmates: Friends and Foe

I have a lot of awesome classmates.  The kind that make me smile whenever I see them.  I walk into class, see their backpack leaned against the desk, and instantly the world is a better place.  Before the professor gets to class we compare notes, talk over homework, and share the most interesting happenings of the past few days, whether bragging about a new phone or complaining about our boss who can't seem to get our schedules straight.  During lecture we share an occasional smile or roll of the eyes as I scribble down one of our professor's especially funny or appropriate comments.  Occasionally, we decide to throw a facebook party and half the class will be on facebook, commenting on the lecture, our fellow classmates, or each other.  Sometimes we'll start to write a reply before the last person has posted their comment, because the truth is we're sitting side by side and, often as not, can see exactly what the other is typing.

Then there is that one classmate who isn't quite so fun.  She comes into class late and I have to conceal my disappointment that she showed up at all.  She sits right in front of the teacher and answers all the questions before I even have the chance to open my mouth, but that doesn't bother me.  It's the way she always speaks which really gets to me.  Her voice is full of this infuriatingly, cocky confidence, even though I know from experience that, like as not, she's wrong.  Still, the professor smiles encouragingly at her, inviting her continued comments and wrong answers.  All I can do is bite back the sarcastic remarks that come rushing to my mind and count down the minutes till I can flee from class and her frustrating presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment