Sunday, November 6, 2011

Snow Globe

A snow globe is
Such a boring piece of glass
When it sits on the shelf
Collecting dust like the knick knacks
That surround it.

Yet when it is grabbed by little fingers
And shaken into a flurry
Suddenly, it is beautiful

As the sifting, falling, spinning flakes of white
Dust tiny rooftops
Like a thick layer of powdered sugar
Young eyes watch in awe

Entranced by the magic in their palms
Eager hands cannot help but shake it,
Flip it,
And turn it upside down
Just to see the lovely flurry one more time

I am a snow globe

I used to sit on the shelf
Silent, ugly and unused
But with my future certain
And my plans well laid

Now I am
Held in the hands of God
And I cannot see past today
My plans are fraying at the ends

For it seems that every time the pieces of my life
Finally settle and shift and fall into place
As soon as my plans are made
Swoosh!
In an instant they are gone

My world is dumped back upside down
Plans are shaken apart
And I am left in a swirling mess
Bruised and confused
Begging for you to help me understand
Why I can no longer stand

Can it be
That you see more than ruined dreams
In this falling tumble of hopes and plans?

Is it true
That you find me beautiful
When I am on my knees?

No comments:

Post a Comment