Monday, October 31, 2011

I try.

Is there really a point to keep going from day to day?
Always pushing and striving to do everything I do with excellence
To be a friend worthy of the name
A daughter who does not disappoint
To give completely
To love with the entirety of my being

I try so hard, but I often wonder why
I am just so weary
Tired of working so hard
For something I don't even want
And longing so desperately
For something I may never have

And then I remember your words
So awkwardly out of place
Yet somehow so perfectly fitting
Of all the things you said on that fateful day
It is this simple exchange that I most often remember
I told you that "I try."
And all you said was "I know."

Five letters are all it took
To justify every tear I have ever cried on your behalf
Two words are all I need
To remind me that sometimes trying is all we're asked to do

So I won't stop trying and working and loving
Even if failure meets me at the door
I won't give up on this struggle of life
I'll keep trying
As long as you know that I am.

"You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."  -Hebrews 10:36


"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him."  -James 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment