Saturday, April 16, 2011

April 15th

A year ago
I heard the words
That rocked my world

A year ago
I spoke the words
That changed my heart

Standing in the growing dusk
Hands full of books
So close
That our skin brushed
Looking into each others eyes
We are loathe to say goodbye

His brother beckons him
And he nods
But before he goes
He says,

"Marissa, have I ever told you that I love you?
Really told you?"

And when I shake my head
I can feel my heart
Begin a wild beat
For as I look into his face
I know what he is about to say
And the very thought
That he will speak those words
To me
For the first time in his life
To me
That he would let down all his guards
And bare his heart
For me
Scares me beyond all measure
And then he says it

Speaking into life
The thoughts and feelings
That have hovered
Soft and sweet
Between us

"I love you."

The force
Of his emotions
Overwhelms me
And I wonder
If I can truly say
"I love you, too"

Is it possible
That in a few short months
The green eyes
Staring so intensely
Into mine
Have become the same eyes
I will long to reveal
Every part of myself to?

I hesitate
For those words
Mean more to me
Than simply describing a passing emotion
Or cementing a temporary bond

But when I look at his face
As he waits
With such a mixture
Of longing and uncertainty
I find no words to speak
Except for

"I love you, too"

And now
A year later
I know
That the words I spoke
Meant more
Than I ever imagined
For those green eyes
Have stolen my heart
Away.

No comments:

Post a Comment