Sunday, May 8, 2011

To Mom...with love.

You laid down your dreams
To pick mine up
And make them yours

You poured out your love
Holding nothing back
So that I could grow

Despite it all, I struggle to be free
From the confines
Of your sheltering arms

Yet, you are scared to let me walk away
For you know the ease
With which my heart will break

It's okay, I say,
It'll be alright
You know I'm tough

But you know better 
So you spend your days
Begging God to hold me close 

'Cause in your eyes
I'm still your little girl
Although I feel I'm growing old

And, as I walk away, all you can do is 
Wait for the blow to fall
And pray desperately that it will not

So when my heart is shattered
By the handsome boy
You knew would come along

It comes as no surprise to you
But it still pains your tender heart
To hear me cry myself to sleep at night

And though you try to comfort me with words
Of wisdom and love
I pull away

Too hurt to bear the sadness
That I see
Mirrored in your eyes

But, though I cringe at your sympathy,
I am reminded of how deeply
You have always loved me

Despite my resentful eyes
And sharp, tired words
You are always there

My anger and frustration
All my bitterness and hurt
Will never succeed in driving you away

My strongest advocate
My most loyal friend
My lovely, loving mother

No comments:

Post a Comment